[Gllug] AMD 64 X 2 / CentOS 4.3 x86-64 SMP RAID 5 slow

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Sep 13 01:51:25 UTC 2006

Karanbir Singh wrote:

> yes, you definitely want the SMP kernel - also disable your powernow in
> the system BIOS. thats one thing that might be getting in the way ( or
> scale the system to run at full speed when you do the benchmarks, but
> considering you are most likely going to use this as a server, disable
> powernow completely )
>
> unless you actually get the base ram id issue - you dont need the iommu
> switch either.

AMD Cool 'n Quiet/PowerNow is already Disabled

ACPI is enabled. Should I disable it since there seems to be an ACPI issue?

The 2.6.9-42 kernel seems to have solved the need for 'iommu=soft' without
which I couldn't get the old kernel to boot. However, the  first run of all
GUI apps is still a big problem. After first run they're fine.

Garry
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk