[Gllug] Anti-DRM event in Central London tomorrow!

salsaman salsaman at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 30 00:52:18 UTC 2006

Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> Simon Morris wrote:
>
>> I really hope to see some of the GLLUG membership at the event.
>

> It's not often we directly disagree, but I think this event is
> confusing intent with implementation.  The implementation _is_
> appalling but saying "DRM Bad" as an absolute is, at best,
> misleading.  There's nothing wrong, in principle, with copyright
> holders dictating how their product is distributed and managed.
> Let's have everyone present at this demonstration sign a public
> declaration that they've not downloaded copyrighted material
> _before_  they start protesting their rights to use the stuff they've
> actually purchased.

There are already plenty of legal means to ensure that illicit copying
and distribution can be punished and prevented. One goal of DRM is
simply to save the big companies money and hassle on enforcement. One
could argue that the cost to prosecute illegal infringers is simply a
"cost of revenue", and that the big companies make enough money that
this is a small percentage of their (in many people's view vastly too
high) income.

DRM seeks to enforce laws through technological means. In doing so, it
cannot distinguish between what is considered fair use, and what is
considered illegal infringement. Furthermore, DRM limits choice - it
dictates what hardware and software may be used to access content. In
addition, it requires other new very restrictive laws, for example the
DMCA which criminalises breaking DRM, or even talking about how to break
DRM in theoretical terms. The companies behind DRM have gone on record
as saying that DRM may not be broken, even in cases where not doing so
could lead to loss of life. [http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=984]

Another aspect to DRM is that it can be used to lock out "unwanted"
content. For example, if all devices of a certain type implement DRM, a
fee can be charged to have content signed, and this fee can be set so as
to lock out non-commercial products. In a similar way, the choice of
formats and distibution can be tightly controlled.

Gabriel.
http://lives.sourceforge.net : keeping the media free and open !

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk