[Gllug] Anti-DRM event in Central London tomorrow!

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Sep 30 07:11:50 UTC 2006

On Friday 29 September 2006 23:15, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Simon Morris wrote:
> > I really hope to see some of the GLLUG membership at the event.
>
> It's not often we directly disagree, but I think this event is confusing
> intent with implementation.  The implementation _is_ appalling but
> saying "DRM Bad" as an absolute is, at best, misleading.  There's
> nothing wrong, in principle, with copyright holders dictating how their
> product is distributed and managed.

Copyright is meant to provide protection to the owner or originator of
material for a fixed period after publication.  DRM as implemented doesn't
allow this.

Current DRM schemes deliberately affect computer "operating systems" - the
Sony DRM Windows rootkit debacle is a particularly nasty example.

Other DRM methods can have direct effects on hardware - one DVD "encryption"
method necessitated the reading of an area of the disk beyond that which was
normal, and could cause mechanical damage to DVD drives.

The encryption and restrictions applied by iTunes and its' ilk restrict
legitimate personal distribution of material a user has bought amongst his
own media - he can't (legitimately) make backups.

All the current DRM schemes are trivially circumvented, but the average
Windows user will allow their machine to be rooted (they don't know any
better) and will allow the "validation" software to phone home every time
they open a media file.  They will even allow their personal data to be
remotely analysed by anyone who considers that they have "rights" to the
contents of their hard drives!

CD manufacturers have even tried introducing sub- and ultra- sonic tones into
their products in an effort to prevent duplication by analogue means - this
causes significant distortion when played back on conventional equipment, and
so renders these products useless to most audiophiles.

I'm not sure that this picket of the Apple shop is going to even get noticed,
and they are probably protesting in the wrong place  - they should be
picketing Time Warner, BMG and Sony.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk