[Gllug] VOT: Family Cars

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at ossified.net
Mon Sep 25 09:08:18 UTC 2006

John Hearns wrote:
> Chris Bell wrote:
>>
>> The old heavy diesel oils may give more power, but were difficult
>> to start in cold weather (we used ether for cold starting), and
>> would part freeze and separate, blocking the pipes. Used vegetable
>> oil that is no longer suitable for frying may need drying, but
>> would probably be OK, and

The alleged problem with used oil is the elevated level of glycerides,
which clog everything up. Used oil is a prime candidate for
trans-esterification into real bio-diesel, which is a direct replacement
for automotive diesel, and may even be a superior alternative in older
engines.

There are some good websites about that detail the process; I got the
feeling having read them in detail in the past that you'd have to be
exceptionally eco-conscious to bother turning your garage into a process
plant for the sake of 20 or so pence a litre saving.

> Sorry to pour cold water on this one. This was covered in the BBC
> London 'Inside Out' programme last week, with the feature on the
> family who are going green. Shot of the father with jerry can of
> vegetable oil - finds that the warranty on his VW Golf would be
> voided. Also covered in Honest John in the Telegraph - simple
> vegetable oil doesn't have the lubricants for a modern diesel
> injector pump. I don't claim any expertise whatsoever - yes vegetable
>  oil for an old diesel Landy or a normal diesel engine. But I
> wouldn't put it anywhere near a modern turbodiesel.

Also not suitable for old Land Rovers - Lucas rotary injection pumps
aren't up to the increased viscosity of neat vegetable oil. The only
suitable vehicles are likely to be rather old prestige vehicles with
hard-as-nails injection equipment that can tolerate the elevated pressures.

Ant
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk