[Gllug] VOT: Family Cars

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 25 09:12:08 UTC 2006

On Mon 25 Sep, John Hearns wrote:

> Sorry to pour cold water on this one.

   Diesel engines have other problems; some will happily run backwards
(hence the flap over the exhaust pipe), while the control system can fail
and allow them to run away. If they do run out of control, they can suck
enough engine oil from the sump to continue to run on until they run out of
that and seize up. It happened to a generator that we were using, the fire
brigade could only throw water at it, watch the fireworks emitted from the
exhaust, and wait for the bang. We were less worried about the loss of a
generator than the possible damage caused as the mains frequency and volts
suddenly took off, so there was a well-rehearsed rush to the breakers.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk