[Gllug] Experiences of VoIP

Benjamin Donnachie benjamin at py-soft.co.uk
Sun Sep 24 11:45:34 UTC 2006

Jason Clifford wrote:
> What have been the experiences of others using VoIP?

I've been using Sipgate with a London number for a few months now and,
on the whole, I'm quite happy with it.  Though, their customer service
is pretty useless but, without any subscription fees, you get what you
pay for!

So far I've used a variety of different devices:

Netgear TA612V.  Doesn't respond to SIPINFO packets and when Netgear
released an update it caused it to reboot when receiving SIPINFO
packets!  Didn't support caller id and had to be restarted daily!

SIPURA SPA-2002 ATA.  Very good piece of kit!  Supports caller id,
responds correctly to SIPINFO packets.

Grandstream BudgeTone 101 network phone.  Good piece of kit!

I've also used a few software phones without any problems.

> I should declare an interest here as I'm going to launch a VoIP service
> shortly (it will be gradwell's rebranded).

Let me know when, I might be interested! :)

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk