[Gllug] Experiences of VoIP

Andy McGarty andy at mac1systems.com
Sat Sep 23 15:19:35 UTC 2006

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 13:11:06 +0100, Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:

> I've just started using Enta's VoIP platform as it is free for me (as in
> no subscription charges) and the call tariff is better than offered
> elsewhere I've looked.
>
> On the whole I am happy.
>
> I'm using a Zoom ATA which seems to work nicely although I've not managed
> to get the traditional phone input working on it yet.
>
> What have been the experiences of others using VoIP?
>
> I should declare an interest here as I'm going to launch a VoIP service
> shortly (it will be gradwell's rebranded).
>
> Jason
I've been using voip for my outbound traffic for the last 12 months and
not had any service problems.
I use http://www.voiptalk.org/products/index.php through my asterisk
server.
The only issue I've had is the the ATA I have has froze about 3 times and
needed a quick power cycle.
I also linked in one of my customers with an IAX link so calls to/from
each other are free.

Make sure the service you use is per second billing with no minimum
duration.  This saves a lot as the average call is only about 2.5 minutes.

Andy

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk