[Gllug] Somewhat OT - seeking reassurance

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Sep 13 17:26:13 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 13 Sep 2006 11:18, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> About three months ago the power supply on my desktop (Pentium 4 2Ghz,
> 1Ghz RAM) burnt out and I got a replacement - 300W
>
> Last night, set the thing to process some video (so pretty processor,
> memory and disk intensive), went to fill dishwasher, came back and PC is
> off and will not come back on. Press the power switch and power light
> flickers on but none of the fans even think of starting.
>
> Power supply was hot and there was a very slight smell of burning.
>
> This is just another burnt out power supply isn't it?

Almost certainly.  I'd choose a rather larger PSU these days, because
components seem to be ever more power-hungry as they speed up.  My
development box (3.2 GHz P4, 1 Gb RAM, couple of "fast" SATA drives, nVidea
FX something-or-other video card) has a 550 Watt PSU, and seems to run fairly
cool, even when it's doing lots of intensive stuff.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk