[Gllug] Overpowered 1U server

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Mon Apr 16 09:05:12 UTC 2007

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Garry Heaton wrote:

> >> accommodate this overspecified server. If not, it's brand new and I'm
> >> prepared to sell it for £2,500
> >
> > I could build this spec machine from scratch for under £1500.  You don't
> >  get opterons that slow anymore. :)
>
> The chassis, board and heatsinks alone came to £775 so your figure of £1500
> seems a little bit off the wall. OK, the CPUs will be cheaper but let's
> compare like for like.

I think the point Martin is making is that you are unlikely to get the
amount you want given that the same facility can be bought or built new
for £1000 less than you want.

Those who want premium products may not be inclined to buy second hand
which means no real warranty or support.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk