[Gllug] [OT] Extended coverage wireless routers

Leo Hickey hickey444 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 8 14:43:39 UTC 2007

Thanks for your responses, they're very helpful.

Caroline Ford wrote:
> Pre-n is MIMO which uses multiple antennae afaik

Yes, but MIMO can be used as a separate technology because they have it
on some non-pre-n routers as well. What I still haven't worked out is if
MIMO is any benefit for the overall connection quality if you have MIMO
on the router and your client is a plain old 11g connection, but as you
say, I suspect not.

Christopher Hunter wrote:
> Subtract 3.2 dB from the rated
> figures to get dBd which is gain over a dipole - they don't look too
> good then.
>
> Most of those antennas advertised there are either end fed dipoles or
> crude colinears.  Neither will work too well in reality.

I can see manufacturers advertising useless specs to make their stuff
sound better, but why would they sell wifi range-extender antennae that
would not work well if there is a better design that is simple to produce?

I'll try different channels etc, but I'm fairly sure there is actually
something wrong with my router the signal is so bad. If I was to get a
new one it looks like I should go for 11g + antenna if necessary. Are
any of the ~£40 ones ok? All I need is one with a good signal and a
straightforward but effective firewall - that's all. Can anyone
recommend one model over others?

thanks

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk