[Gllug] adsl2 pci/internal modems on Linux and the state of adsl2

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Sun Apr 8 14:42:07 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 05:56:58PM +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Chris Jones wrote:
>
> > Note that I've never touched their ADSL cards, but Sangoma make
> > excellent ISDN cards (E1/T1) so their ADSL offering might be worth
> > investigating. They also have excellent Linux support (at least for
> > their ISDN stuff)

The Sangoma S518 (their ADSL card) seems to work fine, both on a single
DSL line and a bonded pair of lines.

The drivers are (as is typical of manufacturers' linux support) supplied
with all manner of weird scripts and config files, but they compiled
easily enough (with the addition of a few hunded k of binary blob) and
have been working solidly for 8 months or so for us.

That said, the box with the cards in it has been experiencing odd hangs
recently, and we haven't found a cause (no console messages, no network
traffic, just hangs :( )

> The Sangoma ADSL cards are very good (although they require a binary shim)
> however they are also very expensive - 3 times the price of the Bewan
> ones which also work well.

10 times when Aria were selling the Bewan cards off for about £5-7!

Should be able to pick one up for a fiver if you shop around.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk