[Gllug] News: Two cautioned over WiFi theft

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Apr 18 08:50:16 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 09:40:30AM +0100, Gundemarie Scholz wrote:
> Richard Jones wrote:
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hereford/worcs/6565079.stm
> >
> >   "The man arrested at the weekend was cautioned for dishonestly
> >   obtaining electronic communications services with intent to avoid
> >   payment."
>
> "While not totally secure, WEP keys do at least provide a modicum of
> security to thwart all but the most technically-literate hackers."
>
> Hmm, considering the fact that it is now possible to crack WEP in less
> than a minute I wouldn't want to support that opinion any more.
>
> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/87874 (German) pointing to
> http://www.cdc.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/aircrack-ptw/ (English) and
> http://eprint.iacr.org/2007/120.pdf (English)

Even before the recent crack, it was pretty easy to passively collect
enough packets to crack 128 bit WEP in under a day.  Not a problem if
you're trying to steal your neighbour's wireless service.

Unfortunately 128 bit WEP is the common denominator amongst all the
wireless devices I have in the house, which means that there's no way
to secure my home network (not that I worry about it too much).

On the subject:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

Rich.

--