[Gllug] News: Two cautioned over WiFi theft

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 08:53:45 UTC 2007

On 18/04/07, Gundemarie Scholz <spamyousilly at inbox.ru> wrote:
> Richard Jones wrote:
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hereford/worcs/6565079.stm
> >
> >   "The man arrested at the weekend was cautioned for dishonestly
> >   obtaining electronic communications services with intent to avoid
> >   payment."
>
> "While not totally secure, WEP keys do at least provide a modicum of
> security to thwart all but the most technically-literate hackers."
>
> Hmm, considering the fact that it is now possible to crack WEP in less
> than a minute I wouldn't want to support that opinion any more.
>
> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/87874 (German) pointing to
> http://www.cdc.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/aircrack-ptw/ (English) and
> http://eprint.iacr.org/2007/120.pdf (English)
>
> Regards,
> Gunde
> --

How about telling your router only to hand access (ie dhcp) out to
known wifi mac addresses. Ie totally open Wifi if the router knows
your mac address. No good for visitors but then visitors can always
talk to you and you can add the relevant mac using the routes config
page. If you really want belt and braces put a WEP key on top. Its
unusual and you have to be technically savi to set it up. Mind you you
need to be technically savi to set up WEP too, which is why most
people don't they like just being able to switch on and go no password
no nothing.

If someone needs to set up and use a password for something it needs
to be rammed in front of there faces and if they can switch any off
that required extra work (like typing in long numbers) you can ensure
they will, usually when it breaks. (or in the case of Wifi something
unrelated breaks like in the case of Wifi either hmm windows or there
ISP)

Peter.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk