[Gllug] Linux invalidates your HP warranty

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Wed Apr 4 17:24:52 UTC 2007

Hi

Jason Clifford wrote:
> The HP warranty listed in their ordering system is actually unlawful under
> English, and EU, law. It seeks to limit the warranty to 6 months and

I just picked two random machines, a Compaq notebook and an HP notebook
from hp.co.uk and they both claim to come with 1 year warranties. You
mentioned something about reality ;)

To be fair, they didn't offer the terms of it by the time I got as far
as having to register, so if I did complete the purchase and they still
hadn't offered, I would of course be able to argue in court that I had
nothing more than the protections afforded by consumer law.

Of course we have no idea how the original laptop that spawned this
thread was purchased, so it's hard to tell what the exact situation
there was. Also I suspect the original buyer was American, so talk of
UK/EU/blah laws is irrelevant. Additionally, the US site does list
considerably more warranty information.

> But not with anything other than your opinion which is totally contrary to
> reality.

In your opinion you are entirely able to assert actual, unquestionable
reality? Remind me please, what are your legal qualifications?

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones
  cmsj at tenshu.net