[Gllug] Linux invalidates your HP warranty

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Wed Apr 4 17:03:40 UTC 2007

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, Alain Williams wrote:

> > Seeing terms of the contract does not mean giving you access to the kinds
> > of conditions we are discussing. I have just tested this with HP's own
> > online ordering system and it does not show any software license for
> > Windows or any other non-HP software and only refers to them as follows:
>
> By 'testing this' do you mean that you have tested it in court, ie it could
> be used as a precedent ? Or is there existing precedent that you can point us
> to that we could quote ? Many web ordering sites are highly vague about the T&Cs
> that you apparently agree to.

By "testing it" I meant I have just used HPs online ordering system to
place an order for a laptop to view the actual terms it displays in the
ordering process.

My further comments in respect of that were specific to those contract
terms.

> One thing that pisses me off is the clause in the contracts that the big
> utilities & banks issue which basically allow them to vary any part of
> the contract & tell you by any means that they see fit.

Which is not a valid term if it's that vague. Consumers have a lot of
protection in contract law and the courts do uphold those protections.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98