[Gllug] [OT] Understanding Sarge just a bit

Paul Cupis paul at cupis.co.uk
Mon Apr 9 16:22:39 UTC 2007

Donald Williams wrote:
> Hi - I read on #gllug a mention of the following
>
> "apt-get install gnome x-window-system"
>
> a command-line instruction to bring a naked Debian Sarge installation on
> a PC up to the beginnings of a desktop set-up. I have (with a couple of
> remaining questions) reached a stage when the unrevealing first screen I
> CAN get to might be made a bit more helpful, if the above is a
> good/wise/sensible move?
>
> Comment, oh wise and perky lot?

The above will give you a working graphical setup, basically you will
get a full X Window environment and a full GNOME environment. You might
replace the "gnome" with "gnome-desktop-environment" to get a slightly
less full system.

http://packages.debian.org/oldstable/gnome/gnome
http://packages.debian.org/oldstable/gnome/gnome-desktop-environment

OTOH, Debian 4.0 'Etch' was released yesterday, so I would recommend
upgrading to that rather than running Sarge, if at all possible.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/debian-announce-2007/msg00002.html

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk