[Gllug] [OT] Understanding Sarge just a bit

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 9 16:54:26 UTC 2007

On Mon 09 Apr, Donald Williams wrote:

> Hi - I read on #gllug a mention of the following
>
> "apt-get install gnome x-window-system"
>
> a command-line instruction to bring a naked Debian Sarge installation on
> a PC up to the beginnings of a desktop set-up. I have (with a couple of
> remaining questions) reached a stage when the unrevealing first screen I
> CAN get to might be made a bit more helpful, if the above is a
> good/wise/sensible move?
>
> Comment, oh wise and perky lot?
>
> TIA, Don (brumby72), HP PC currently running Ubuntu

   A few comments:

   Debian and Ubuntu are similar, but not identical, so do not assume that
you can mix-and-match facilities.
   Debian Sarge is now the old-stable version 3.1, it has just been replaced
as Debian stable by Etch, which is Debian 4.0 so if you are starting from
scratch it would probably be easier to start again using the new installer.
   Gnome is the default desktop window manager for Etch, others such as KDE
are available as separate tasks, or use the relevant installer disc 1.
   If you wish to upgrade from 3.1 to 4.0 do read the instructions because
the upgrade should be completed in stages, first upgrading to the latest
version of Debian aptitude, then using it to upgrade your system and deal
correctly with dependencies.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk