[Gllug] Disabling the framebuffer on an IBM blade

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Tue Apr 17 14:52:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 13:22 +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> The hardware is unusual, it's an IBM e series blade which we access via
> the bladecentre using the IBM management tool (which is Java and
> therefore horrid).

What is the graphics chip?

> If anyone has alternate suggestions for disabling the framebuffer, I'd
> love to hear them.

Reading you plight has me thinking about what commands the driver for
the graphics chip accepts.

Also, not using Debian myself, wondering;
What the hardware detection routine is for the release you are using?
Is it/does it have to be enabled?
Does some other system kick in if it does not find the values that are
passed to it to be suitable?

I am using FC6 atm for my desktop which uses X and gnome. I know that
during boot various detection routines run however it also seems that X
does some auto-detection of it's own(and the results do not always look
consistent). I am also guessing that most hardware detection can be
turned off. Eliminating what is running at boot may help narrow down
what routine you need to be trying to affect.

HTH,
Justin
--
If you are an adult, you can choose to act like a child. If you do not
accept being an adult, you are only a child. -JJJ

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk