[Gllug] News: Two cautioned over WiFi theft

amd_uk amd_uk at lineone.net
Tue Apr 17 21:28:48 UTC 2007

paul at ma1.se wrote:
> Richard Jones wrote:
>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hereford/worcs/6565079.stm
>>
>>   "The man arrested at the weekend was cautioned for dishonestly
>>   obtaining electronic communications services with intent to avoid
>>   payment."
>>
>> Apparently the offence is under the Communications Act 2003:
>> http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts2003/30021--c.htm which reading it has
>> some really very broad sections, which seems to make VOIP illegal, and
>> also outlaws mesh networks and so on.
>>
>> Rich.
>>

> probably the guy in the car got fed up waiting for BT/Enta to reconnect
> his broadband after moving and decided to do a spot of wardriving to
> collect his emails. I moved a few feet, about three weeks ago and still
> waiting ;o)
>
> Of course the curtain twitching neighbours could have secured their open
> networks instead, but I suppose it was easier to call the Police!
>

> regards
>

> Paul Lee
> www.ma1.se

As I understand it, EU law allows a person to share their wireless
Internet connection with up to 10 people (I may well  be wrong, it
happens fairly frequently). However, It seems that the Communications
Act 2003 counters the EU directive.
So, if I'm correct and that EU directive exists, which one takes precedent ?
If the EU law exists *and* takes precedence over the 2003 Act, where
does that leave people wanting to share their wireless connection, and
those using the shared resources, if people are being arrested for
accessing the Internet through an open AP ?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk