[Gllug] News: Two cautioned over WiFi theft

paul at ma1.se paul at ma1.se
Tue Apr 17 21:49:52 UTC 2007

amd_uk wrote:
> paul at ma1.se wrote:
>> Richard Jones wrote:
>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hereford/worcs/6565079.stm
>>>
>>>   "The man arrested at the weekend was cautioned for dishonestly
>>>   obtaining electronic communications services with intent to avoid
>>>   payment."
>>>
>>> Apparently the offence is under the Communications Act 2003:
>>> http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts2003/30021--c.htm which reading it has
>>> some really very broad sections, which seems to make VOIP illegal, and
>>> also outlaws mesh networks and so on.
>>>
>>> Rich.
>>>

>> probably the guy in the car got fed up waiting for BT/Enta to reconnect
>> his broadband after moving and decided to do a spot of wardriving to
>> collect his emails. I moved a few feet, about three weeks ago and still
>> waiting ;o)
>>
>> Of course the curtain twitching neighbours could have secured their open
>> networks instead, but I suppose it was easier to call the Police!
>>

>> regards
>>

>> Paul Lee
>> www.ma1.se
>>

> As I understand it, EU law allows a person to share their wireless
> Internet connection with up to 10 people (I may well  be wrong, it
> happens fairly frequently). However, It seems that the Communications
> Act 2003 counters the EU directive.
> So, if I'm correct and that EU directive exists, which one takes precedent ?
> If the EU law exists *and* takes precedence over the 2003 Act, where
> does that leave people wanting to share their wireless connection, and
> those using the shared resources, if people are being arrested for
> accessing the Internet through an open AP ?

Yes you mean the EU directive legalising "Home ISP's" and which to an
extent superceded some of the provisions of 1984 Telecommunications Act

I suspect its a matter of having adequate permissions, and "hotspot
owners" still have a say, obviously on who can and can't connect to
their network.

Also allowing the sharing a broadband connection might still infringe
your T&C with the ADSL provider.

Paul Lee
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk