[Gllug] Understanding Sarge just a bit

Donald Williams don at rose963.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 9 20:50:44 UTC 2007

Hi #gllug and my sincere thanks for all the replies. They were and are
constructive.
	Just to explain to those I mystified: I see that I can learn both from
installing Debian and from using it, hopefully in the same incremental
way that I have learned through using Suse 10, 10.1, 10.2 and the
current Ubuntu. I am aware of the similarities between Ubuntu and
Debian, and Ubuntu's inheritance. I have much to learn still, for I am a
24-carrot newbie!
	I bought a couple of Sarge CDs from Linux-man Distros - on price alone,
as I'm a pensioner. They seem fine. I made a few attempts to install
from the CDs, sometimes arriving at the "there y'are, you've done it!"
stage when I logged in and it denied culpability (the "unhelpful"
screen).
	However, having on the way become confused (I find that easy to do) by
seemingly illogical descriptions of what sort of "network/setup" I was
running(?) and another demanded name "to the right of the domain name,
sometimes ending in co.uk ...", I launched into a command I recalled
from a magazine reference: "aptitude".
	Yeah ...
	So after a time I realised I was installing and re-installing
everything in and out of sight - in an unusable state! (I actually read
on one of the screens the legend "Ach, something bad has happened
here ... "!)
	So I then thought yup, have a chat with the #gllug guys. So did.
	Last bit of info: under ubuntu I run Firefox to talk to my Belkin
router (which thankfully retains its settings) which talks to my service
provider of broadband. I also run gaim. All faultlessly.
	If this old fart can get to install Debian, there is hope for all the
other grey-haired ones out there enabling, perhaps, an even greater
reserve of Linux activists ...

	Again, TIA, Don (brumby72)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk