[Gllug] adsl2 pci/internal modems on Linux and the state of adsl2

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sun Apr 1 22:21:47 UTC 2007

Chris Bell wrote:
>    I am doing things the other way round, I have an external ADSL2+ router
> on a standard ADSL MAX line, just over a mile from the exchange. It always
> shows 8128/448, but my IPCop log surprised me today by showing 917 KBytes
> per second maximum and over 800 KBytes/s average while downloading from
> www.mirrorservice.org today, which is a local speed record. My normal
> download speed usually sits around 200 KBytes/s because of contention.
>    The HiPoint box uses a TI AR7WRD chip, with 4 ethernet ports and
> wireless, and claims a maximum around 24Mbps.

thats quite impressive.

my requirement is for an internal card so that it can sit inside a
mini-itx style box and be self contained, and more than the downlink its
the uplink speeds that I am concerned about ( hence the Request for
Comments about Benow.co.uk ).

The RFC is itself quite interesting, I've now asked on a few forums and
even talked to people - its obvious that a fair few people are using
their service, but very few actually seem to want to talk about it!!!

- KB
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk