[Gllug] Building an external input device

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Sun Apr 1 22:40:22 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-01 at 20:47 +0100, Thomi Richards wrote:
> I basically want a foot switch that, when pressed, emits a configurable key
> code. This means that I can have a foot switch that controls any application
> that takes a configurable keycode input.

Along the lines of using others hardware I would suggest using a pound
shop PS2 mouse.

This would give you two switches.

> 1) select hardware interface (PS2? USB?).

PS2 is default however you can get converters.

> 2) Design hardware around interface constraints.

If building a button pusher make sure to have a stopping mechanism that
can withstand the maximum pressure you will apply. Especially with a
foot switch there might be a temptation to jam your foot down and your
end device would have to accommodate that.

> 3) Develop kernel driver

Multiple mice are already supported, although you will need to read up
on setting it up.

> 4) I assume I'll need to do something for X as well..

X also supports multiple mice and again some reading required.

I am working on building an input device as well and, as is mentioned by
Dylan, the Maplin interface is one I am also considering.

Good luck. I will be quite interested in hearing about how you get on
with this project.

Justin

--
If you are an adult, you can choose to act like a child. If you do not
accept being an adult, you are only a child. -JJJ