[Gllug] Linux invalidates your HP warranty

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Tue Apr 3 16:56:41 UTC 2007

Hi

Jason Clifford wrote:
> If HP insist that MS Windows is an integral part of the laptop then it
> must follow that the terms of the Windows license, particularly the
> rejection clause for the software are applicable.

IANAL, so "must" is far outside my authority.

AFAICS though you're perfectly free to decline to accept the windows
licence and continue unsupported.

> You seem to have misunderstood the discussion. We're talking about
> hardware support not software support.

And my entire point is that by doing so, you have misunderstood
something vital, which is that HP do not provide hardware support and/or
software support. They provide support for their products, which is a
given set of hardware and software.
(Note that Microsoft will tell you to go talk to HP if you call them
about a Windows problem on your HP laptop)

> from a known good software image for testing - your existing Windows
> installation cannot meet that definition given how every application ever
> installed replaces parts of a Windows OS.

and I would imagine HP support (and indeed every other support
department in the world, EVER) have no end of problems caused by
installed software, but they can't really wiggle out of that one without
a blanket policy to run the restore CD prior to doing anything.

> it's no different from Linux in this respect.

Other than being alien to the support workers and that it replaces
*every* line of running code, instead of a tiny subset that would be
modified by installing Quicktime or whatever.

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones
  cmsj at tenshu.net