[Gllug] back on the linux front

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Fri Apr 13 13:03:23 UTC 2007

- Tethys wrote:
> Sadly, yes, it's now normal. A machine with 512MB or RAM will struggle
> to run any of the bloated modern Linux desktops without swapping
> heavily.

Depends what you mean by "bloated".

> Your best bet is either to buy more RAM, or to ditch KDE in
> favour of something more lightweight.

My work laptop has a gig of RAM.  I'm currently running Icedove, Firefox
with a dozen tabs open, xchat and 20 or so terminals all on top of KDE,
all from Debian (Lenny), of course.

thunkpod:~# free -m
Mem:          1003        891        111          0         65        460
-/+ buffers/cache:        364        638
Swap:         1907          0       1907

Subtracting the cache means that's all sitting comfortably within 512Mb
with no swap in use.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk