[Gllug] back on the linux front

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Apr 18 18:50:54 UTC 2007

- Tethys wrote:
> On 4/13/07, Bradut Boghita <bradut at bradut.com> wrote:
>
>> Is this normal ? Is there a particular debian based desktop that you would recommend for a, presumably slow machine now ?
>
> Sadly, yes, it's now normal. A machine with 512MB or RAM will struggle
> to run any of the bloated modern Linux desktops without swapping
> heavily. Your best bet is either to buy more RAM, or to ditch KDE in
> favour of something more lightweight.

Huh?  The laptops of both my wife and my son have just 512M of RAM and
they run Gnome and lots of apps just fine.  I'd agree that 256M is a bit
tight (although perfectly usable) but 512M is still a generous amount of
RAM for a Linux desktop.

I admit I'm typing this on a machine with 1G of RAM, but of that
currently 211256k is unused and 560564k is cache, meaning that less than
  280M is seriously in use.  I've been working on it for about 4 hours
and have Firefox, RealPlayer, Thunderbird, a few terminals and a game
running.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk