[Gllug] News: Two cautioned over WiFi theft

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Apr 17 22:48:21 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 22:28 +0100, amd_uk wrote:

> However, It seems that the Communications
> Act 2003 counters the EU directive.

The Communications Act does everything it possibly can to prevent
communications!

Any device radiating anything in the radio spectrum has to be licenced
under the terms of this ridiculously bad Act - the exemptions for
radiating computer hardware and other similar non-intentional signals
have been overlooked (they thought they were covered under other Acts),
so your crystal-controlled wristwatch probably needs a transmitting
licence!

I have suffered the inane bureaucracy of OFCOM recently, and have had to
point out many of the errors in the Act to them.  They are (of course)
immovable, and insist on working to the "Letter of the Law".  If you
want me to suggest who should be first against that proverbial wall when
the revolution comes, the "staff" at OFCOM would be my choice....

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk