[Gllug] ADSL moving delays (OT)

paul at ma1.se paul at ma1.se
Wed Apr 4 07:41:24 UTC 2007

Peter Ball wrote:
> On 21 Mar 2007 at 13:54, paul at ma1.se wrote:
>
> Hi
>
>> I'm currently going through the same thing, except I'm literally just
>> moving a few feet to a different office, which, suprise, suprise they
>> can't find on their database!
>
> If the offices are in the same building it should be a 30 minute job assuming both offices
> have an existing master phone socket.
>
> 1.	Identify and get access to the Network Termination Point (NTP) for the building.
>
> 2.	Plug a tone generator into the phone socket in the old office.
>
> 3.	At the NTP identify the connection pair serving the old office.

As a little footnote to this, wasn't able to do as the landlord strictly
forbade me tampering with the NTP's on site which is quite understandable.

It probably wouldn't have helped anyway as although I've only moved a
few feet, the place I work at is supplied by up to six box's (according
to the BT engineer who eventually visited).

BT attempted a switch which went wrong. The new line would ring but no
dialling tone. The phone line was out of action for four days until a BT
engineer could visit. This entailed him fiddling with the box up the
road and a small amount of work in Poplar Exchange.

As for broadband, well forget it. Still without service as BT Wholesale
still haven't ceased the ADSL connection on the original line.

With hindsight I think one needs to get the "cease and re-provide" in at
least a week before before a move (didn't think it was necessary for
such a minor move).

Thank goodness for open (unsecured) wireless access points is all I can
say and to get slightly back on topic, I've built a Linux Wireless
router with a D-Link PCI wireless card which works quite well.

The D-Link amazingly worked straight away (loading orinico_pci modules)
with Centos 4.4. The only snag being the connection occasionally dying
with pings revealing "wrong data byte" errors, but a quick reboot and
things start working again. Googlefu so far suggests this *might* be a
driver issue.

Regards

Paul Lee
www.ma1.se