[Gllug] Linux invalidates your HP warranty

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Tue Apr 3 15:54:18 UTC 2007

Hi

Jason Clifford wrote:
> What is the basis upon which you call a device a "windows laptop"?

Well maybe the fact that HP only sell laptops with Windows
pre-installed. I would also not think it too much of a liberty to assume
that they put the "Designed for" stickers on too.

> installation what would you call that laptop in the event that the
> consumer invokes the rejection clause and replacing windows with Linux or
> $otherOS?

I'd call it a laptop that HP won't support as-is, apparently so would
HP. Hence this thread.

> HP offer the laptop with a choice of Windows versions. How are you
> determining exactly which product it is if you accept that the OS
> installed OEM is integral to the product?

HP support a fixed set of OSes on their laptops at the moment. That set
is basically the variants of Vista. They don't support Linux on their
laptops, nor have they claimed to and if you phone them up and ask for
it, they'll say no or ask you to order a very large number of units.

How is it so difficult to then grasp that they won't support other OSes
on their laptops?

You'll note that you never get regular Windows install media with
machines (especially laptops) these days, you get a restore partition or
a restore CD which puts your machine back to how it was shipped to you,
including any nonsense software HP forces on. I wouldn't be at all
surprised if they would object if you'd wiped their install and put your
own version of Windows on. Why should they support your potential
inability to install an OS? Doubly so if it's an OS their support people
have never even seen before!

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones