[Gllug] OT: ADSL problems

David Bell grimpen at wife-2cats-and.me.uk
Thu Apr 12 14:48:54 UTC 2007

On 12 Apr 2007, at 15:06, Jason Clifford wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, David Bell wrote:
>
>>> Insisting that your ISP get it fixed just wont work if it's a PSTN
>>> fault.
>>
>> It has with my ISP.  It was a (very nice) BT OpenReach engineer that
>> they called out, who cleared an exchange fault, swapped a drop
>> lead pair
>> from the pole which wasn't up to spec' and a dodgy connection on the
>> lead-in to the master socket - ALL organised by my ISP.
>
> If you get very lucky you may find that the Openreach engineer who
> responds to the fault raised by your ISP deals with the whole line
> however
> my experience with literally thousands of ADSL customers leaves me
> knowing
> that this is the exception and not the rule.
>
> Usually where the fault is a PSTN fault BT simply will not assign an
> engineer in response to an ADSL fault until the PSTN fault is cleared.

In my case there was, apparently, nothing wrong with the line as the
phone worked and the bog standard remote tests had revealed nothing
amiss. However, from professional past experience I know for a fact
that telephones will work happily over quite poor quality circuits
and that many ADSL problems stem from this.

My ISP reacted to a complaint that my ADSL connection kept dropping
out and the speed fluctuated from mediocre to useless.  It wasn't
until the engineer clambered up poles etc. with his laptop that
anything showed up, both in the exchange and local tail, i.e. PSTN
faults which according to BT didn't exist.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk