[Gllug] Overpowered 1U server

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Apr 15 18:41:11 UTC 2007

About a year ago I built a 1U rackmount server with the following spec:

2 x Opteron 250/2.4Ghz
Mobo: Tyan Thunder S2881G2NR
8 x 512Mb PC3200 ECC 400Mhz
4 x Maxline PlusIII 300Gb as 3/RAID 5 + 1 hot spare
RAIDCore BC4852 card
Chenbro RM1705 1U
    Slimline CD-ROM
    Slimline Floppy
    Riser card for RAID controller
    5 blowers
2 Heatsinks + fans
CentOS 4.3 (64 bit)

The idea was to take advantage of Bytemark's cheap 1U colo deal but when the
time came to move forward they had stopped offering colo. I recalled Black
Cat offered something similar and was all set to go when they switched their
pricing policy to emphasise power consumption over rackspace. Oh dear. This
server wasn't exactly power efficient and would cost me twice as much to
host as I originally budgeted.

Does anyone know of any other reasonably cheap colo deal which would
accommodate this overspecified server. If not, it's brand new and I'm
prepared to sell it for £2,500 and lose nearly £1,000 on what it cost me to
put it together. It's all working properly and hasn't been used but I can't
afford annual 2U colo rates.

Garry

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk