[Gllug] offsite backup services

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 17:44:07 UTC 2007

On Dec 12, 2007 5:25 PM, Ryan Cartwright <ryan at crimperman.org> wrote:

> Based upon "find -mtime" estimates my server has about 12-14GB of
> modified/new data to backup each day. Thus I could see myself going
> above a typical hosting included bandwidth allowance (e.g. Bytemark's is
> 100GB/month) and upping that would increase the cost.

That's not necessarily a valid way of measuring churn. That'll tell
you the total size of files that have changed since the last backup.
On the other hand, rsync won't back up the whole file each day -- only
those parts of it that have changed. That's very unlikely to be the
whole file (although for some types of data, it might be -- only you
can say for sure).

Tet

--
Perl is like vise grips. You can do anything with it but it is the
wrong tool for every job. -- Bruce Eckel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk