[Gllug] offsite backup services

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Wed Dec 12 17:48:59 UTC 2007

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 05:14:45PM +0000, Paul wrote:

> I tend to agree, and have bad experience with tapes.

I am suspicious of the robustness of USB drives long term, particularly
if you have some third party collecting them and transporting them to
secure storage.  Shouldn't matter so much if you have a decent number of
drives in the backup set.

Some open source backup software can be configured quite easily to deal
with removable media.  I know that Amanda supports treating drives as
virtual tapes, so you could optionally connect a whole bunch of usb
drives, have the Amanda tape-changer select a new one each night and
only collect and replace them once a week.

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"