[Gllug] OT unable to delete a spam item

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri Dec 7 17:17:33 UTC 2007

john gennard wrote:
> John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:-
>
>  >>Some years ago, an email arrived with no 'subject', no
>  >>'from' (except '-') and nothing at all in the main body.
>  >>The sender's email address was forged, and the anti-virus
>  >>program found nothing untoward. There were no attachments.
> [snip]
>  >>Has anyone seen anything similar to this, or can anyone
>  >>suggest how to get rid of the pesky varmint? It doesn't
>  >>seem to do anything other than annoy me when I go into W2000.
>
>  >Is the box running a POP or IMAP server?  They commonly store
>  >their settings in a dummy e-mail and I've seen MUAs which don't
>  >know about this try to display said e-mail as if it were a
>  >real one.
>
> I don't quite understand, John. The server is a POP one.
> Where is the dummy email stored; if on the server then how
> could it appear in my client when there is no connection?
> Will you elucidate for me please.

My question was whether your box - the one one which the e-mail appears
- is running a POP or IMAP server.  If it was then that could explain
how an e-mail appeared locally even when you weren't connected to the
'net.  It seems that it's not so that isn't a feasible explanation.

> What settings do they store -
> what keeps re-appearing looks just like one of the nuisance
> pieces of spam I often get. 'Ctrl-U' in Netscape shows all the
> headers (at least I think it is 'all') and I see nothing other
> than what I do for other spam including the forged sender's
> email address.

And with this extra information it would appear that you have some sort
of real piece of spam there.  If it keeps re-appearing without your
being connected then it suggests a corruption in your Netscape mailbox.
  I've come across this on a friend's PC, running Thunderbird on
Windows.  She kept getting the same block of messages appearing again
and again (over 1000 of them).  She cured it by running "File => Compact
Folders" which took quite a while but seemed to finally get rid of them.

HTH
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk