[Gllug] Network file server (for home use)

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sun Dec 2 18:02:32 UTC 2007

--------

Richard Jones writes:

>Do GLLUGers have any ideas about this?

Put it in the loft? I don't know whether I'm representative of the
general opinion here, but I'd definitely go with a self-built PC
rather than one of the off the shelf network storage servers.

How quiet does it have to be? If you can tolerate a small amount of
noise, then a decent case and a low noise fan should suffice. I got
mine from Armari (http://www.armari.co.uk) just as a normal midi
tower workstation, but have been astounded at how quiet it is. On
the other hand, if you need totally silent (fanless Mini-ITX or
similar), then I suspect you're right and you won't find a case
that's big enough. I'm not sure you could get away with running
that many drives without active cooling anyway, though...

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk