[Gllug] Network file server (for home use)

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Dec 2 18:42:45 UTC 2007

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 06:02:32PM +0000, Tethys wrote:
> Put it in the loft? I don't know whether I'm representative of the
> general opinion here, but I'd definitely go with a self-built PC
> rather than one of the off the shelf network storage servers.

Unfortunately the loft isn't practical because of network and power
constraints.  I have a closet with the required power, but that is
close enough to the living room that it needs to be pretty much
silent.

Since Wal-Mart (in the US) have started selling this:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7754614

which is (according to reviews) just a large almost empty box
containing a C7 on a mini-ITX motherboard, does anyone know if
mini/nano-ITX motherboards can be mounted in small tower cases?

> How quiet does it have to be? If you can tolerate a small amount of
> noise, then a decent case and a low noise fan should suffice. I got
> mine from Armari (http://www.armari.co.uk) just as a normal midi
> tower workstation, but have been astounded at how quiet it is. On
> the other hand, if you need totally silent (fanless Mini-ITX or
> similar), then I suspect you're right and you won't find a case
> that's big enough. I'm not sure you could get away with running
> that many drives without active cooling anyway, though...

I'll take a look.  They're just down the road & I bought servers from
them before.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones