[Gllug] [Fwd: [piksel] Outrageous disaster: Ogg/Vorbis spec taken out of HTML-5]

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Tue Dec 18 17:16:11 UTC 2007

Hi

salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
> i  urge you  to take  act against  the exclusion  of Ogg/Vorbis/Theora
> audio/video streaming  technology from the  HTML-5 specification: this

As I understand it, the only reasonable thing anyone could really do to
stop this is to indemnify everyone against patent lawsuits arising from
vorbis and theora.
I think it's fair enough that Nokia and Apple don't want to expose
themselves to unknown risk by using the technologies. I really don't
think they object to free codecs in principle (well Apple might, but I
couldn't care less about Apple ;)

Cheerio,
--
Chris Jones