[Gllug] [Fwd: [piksel] Outrageous disaster: Ogg/Vorbis spec taken out of HTML-5]

Rob Crowther robertc at boogdesign.com
Sun Dec 16 17:47:49 UTC 2007

Cillian de Roiste wrote:

> Thanks for passing this on. From reading about it I get the impression that
> Mozilla, Opera and Webkit are all going to support it anyway. Apart from
> promoting the use of ogg by using it, I didn't notice any other suggestions
> on how to influence the situation?

I think the other best option is to provide web content which uses
Ogg/Theora, because that's the only thing which is going to make
supporting it worthwhile for MS, Apple and Nokia.

I'm also not sure that Webkit will be supporting it anyway - at least
the likely two most popular implementations of Webkit browsers are from
Apple and Nokia, and they're the same people who asked for this to be
removed from the spec.

If anyone wants to get quickly up to speed with the whole controversy, I
recommend reading this post from the mailing list:

http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2007-December/013219.html

Rob
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk