[Gllug] extracting data from specific sites

Marcus marcus at fatbeehive.com
Mon Dec 17 13:46:38 UTC 2007

Richard Jones wrote:
> This Perl library:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/WWW-Mechanize/lib/WWW/Mechanize.pm
>
> Rich
I can't believe I have missed this module - thanks :)

With the issue of scraping - I don't think a court would find _how_
somebody accessed data on a public website irrelevent, although it could
be argued that if I release come HTML code - I expect you to render/view
that code to a HTML standard [ie through a web browser]. In theory I am
copying a websites content everytime I visit it - could be argued that
if I render it differently  then I have created a derivitive work
[specially if using ie ;)]? Although this would be for personal use ...

Seems a bit of a legal mine field - another point which comes to mind -
I remember scraping a few years back in my early scripting days - ended
up creating a Denial Of Service attack on the site. I seem to recall
laws being passed making DoS attacks illegal.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk