[Gllug] Is this a silly (RAID) notion?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 2 17:22:01 UTC 2007

On Sun 02 Dec, John Winters wrote:

> Would it be silly to put all 3 in to begin with, specifying the 3rd as a
> spare, then once the installation is complete remove the 3rd drive and
> put it away somewhere safe.

   RAID1 is easily rebuilt from one disc if the other fails, and the
bootable partition can be on the RAID1 array.
   If the drives share the same cable for connection it is possible for the
dead drive to prevent access to the survivor.
   It would be a great advantage to have an identical spare good disc
available when it happens, hopefully far enough in the future for that size
of disc to be difficult to find.
   Having an additional drive powered in the same box will definitely be an
additional heat source, thermally controlled fans will run faster, and there
will be a greater chance of fan and dust problems. I regularly power down
boxes, check heat sinks for dust clogs, and oil the fan bearings where
possible, and frequently discover a wall of dust hidden behind the processor
cooling fan.
   On the other hand, I have heard several stories of remaining apparently
good drives failing when powered down for maintenance.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk