[Gllug] Is this a silly (RAID) notion?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Dec 2 16:06:14 UTC 2007

I have 2 hard discs which I intend to use in a RAID1 array, plus a 3rd
identical one to use as a spare.

I notice that the etch installation process offers to set up both active
and spare members of the array.

Would it be silly to put all 3 in to begin with, specifying the 3rd as a
spare, then once the installation is complete remove the 3rd drive and
put it away somewhere safe.

That way, as and when one of the drives fails the 3rd one is already
configured as a tentative member of the array and it should be just a
case of installing it and activating it.

I don't want to leave the third one in because then it will have been
spinning just as long as the other two.  Less head movement of course.

Have I missed something obvious?

TIA,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk