[Gllug] Is this a silly (RAID) notion?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Dec 2 18:31:20 UTC 2007

On 2 Dec 2007, John Winters stated:

> I have 2 hard discs which I intend to use in a RAID1 array, plus a 3rd
> identical one to use as a spare.
>
> I notice that the etch installation process offers to set up both active
> and spare members of the array.
>
> Would it be silly to put all 3 in to begin with, specifying the 3rd as a
> spare, then once the installation is complete remove the 3rd drive and
> put it away somewhere safe.
>
> That way, as and when one of the drives fails the 3rd one is already
> configured as a tentative member of the array and it should be just a
> case of installing it and activating it.

The event counts in the RAID superblock will almost certainly be
different, so you'll have to recreate its superblock anyway. If you're
doing that, you might as well create and add it normally.

I don't think this gains you anything.

--
`Some people don't think performance issues are "real bugs", and I think
such people shouldn't be allowed to program.' --- Linus Torvalds
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk