[Gllug] On a Fasthost adv.

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Thu Dec 20 09:03:19 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 19:18 +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> There IS a significant problem with (for example) Virgin Media offering
> "unlimited" broadband, when it is seriously limited by their draconian
> policies.  There is also a problem with Virgin offering "20 Mb/s" when
> with STM and contention issues, most users seldom see anything above 2
> Mb/s.

But the problem there is the one I already identified as the real one -
companies selling a service as "unlimited" when it is nothing of the
sort due to the limits they place on it with their policies beyond
normal contention.

> Other "broadband" providers are also guilty of some VERY suspect
> advertising.

Yes but the issue is selling limited services as unlimited.

If these campaigns want to be respected and listened to by the industry
they need to address and campaign on the real issue.

Going around shouting about slow speeds which are simply the nature of a
contended service that is dependant upon line quality and claiming that
people in other countries get line speed simply wont get taken seriously
in the industry where we understand that both of these claims arise from
a fundamental failure to understand what is really the case.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk