[Gllug] Network file server (for home use)

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Sun Dec 2 22:00:40 UTC 2007

amd_uk wrote:
> IIRC, mini-itx can be mounted in standard ATX cases however I haven't
> had any first-hand experience
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-itx

>>> which is (according to reviews) just a large almost empty box
>>> containing a C7 on a mini-ITX motherboard, does anyone know if
>>> mini/nano-ITX motherboards can be mounted in small tower cases?

My home server consists of a VIA Epia 1GHz board in a small but
high-quality mini-tower case with a couple of WD RE ATA drives on a
3-Ware card for data and a 2.5" 5400 drive for the OS.

This board has standard spacing, the case is mini-ATX.

It draws 32W (whole system) when serving data, about 20W when idle. I
don't do video though, so it may be underpowered for that.

Works for me. If I had one of the later Epias with multiple SATA onboard
I might do without the 3-Ware but I trust them due to long good
experience and universal Linux support.

I have it mounted on a shelf in the hallway with the router/access point
in the same place and wired access to my w/s and the sitting-room. This
means there is 0dB noise contribution in my study/music studio/sitting
room. Just absolute peace.

MeJ
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk