[Gllug] offsite backup services

Paul Lee paul at ma1.se
Wed Dec 12 17:14:45 UTC 2007

- Tethys wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2007 3:34 PM, Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at workshy.org> wrote:
>
>> Are you trying to fit the entire run onto a single tape?  Invest in a
>> tape changer and use backup software that can split an arcnive over
>> mutiple tapes.
>
> I have to disagree here. Backing up to tape is long beyond the point
> where it's a sensible option. Rather than throw more money down the
> drain, back up to disk instead, ideally over the net to an offsite
> location. Storage is cheap, after all. For the volumes we're talking
> about here (100s of GB), it's a perfectly valid option. If you're
> wanting to scale up to serious volumes, then you need to plan things a
> bit more carefully. But for what the OP asked, some kind of rsync
> service is probably the best option. I can't recommend one, I'm
> afraid, as I just got myself some rackspace and did it myself.
>
> Tet

I tend to agree, and have bad experience with tapes.

I've bought quite a few cheapo USB drives (basically contain notepad
drives) and plug them in and they work pretty much straight away with
Centos 4.5 and 5 servers.

Now of course this isn't offsite backup, but if I require that it would
be case of simply getting the data centre techs to swap /rotate the USB
drives on say a weekly /monthly basis (similar to tapes) and remount. I
could arrange to pick up the drives at their reception.

Ok I'm only talking relatively small scale backs ups but £49.99 plus VAT
so wouldn't scale for TB's of data, but a USB storage disc seems good
value compared to tapes and tape drive systems.

Hmm apply to "Dragons Den" for cash to develop an automated USB disc
drive drive changer lol!

Also in IP House have small network attached storage drive but that
crashes and needs rebooting on a fairly regular basis.

Paul Lee
www.ma1.se
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk