[Gllug] offsite backup services

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Wed Dec 12 16:24:01 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 15:19 +0000, Ryan Cartwright wrote:
> Coincidentally my own research has just led me to the same question. I
> don't have the exact figures but using find -mtime tells me we have
> around 15GB of modified/new data to backup each day. So bandwidth does
> become an issue if we're renting a server, places like rsync.net seem to
> price only on storage space but they compensate with $1.60/GB (with bulk
> discounts). For our server alone we may need ~200GB and I was also
> looking into using the same service for our home-based users (currently
> backing up to optical media) which would bump it up to somewhere around
> 300GB.

At which point it may well be better economy to colocate a box somewhere
fairly reliable with lots of RAID storage on it and rsync to that rather
than subscribe to rsync.net or similar.

I'm inclined to say business users really should be using some form of
tape however. It's easier to implement grandfather type schemes that
anyone with an ounce of sense can understand.

Jason

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk