[Gllug] OT unable to delete a spam item

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Thu Dec 6 09:20:37 UTC 2007

Sitting alongside my Debian installation I have W2000
which was used by the wife and still receives mail from
certain sources via Netscape 7.1.

Some years ago, an email arrived with no 'subject', no
'from' (except '-') and nothing at all in the main body.
The sender's email address was forged, and the anti-virus
program found nothing untoward. There were no attachments.

This is not an uncommon state of affairs and the emails
'go away' when deleted. This one does not, and each time
Netscape runs it's 'Building summary file for Inbox'
program, the offending email reappears and as unread.
I only use dialup and do not go on line until Netscape is
fully launched (i.e. after the Inbox summary file has been
rebuilt), so whatever causes the message to reappear must
be on my computer. I've seen no evidence that anything
sinister is happening, the message just refuses to go away
when deleted. Trying to be clever (which I'm not!), I've
transferred the message to a Trash folder in Local Folders,
where it sits permanently whilst but copies reappear in
the main Inbox.

Has anyone seen anything similar to this, or can anyone
suggest how to get rid of the pesky varmint? It doesn't
seem to do anything other than annoy me when I go into W2000.

Grateful for any advice.

John.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk