[Gllug] DVD vs Blueray/HDDVD

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Fri Dec 14 11:45:52 UTC 2007

t.clarke wrote:
> This is totally off subject I know, but anyway ....
>
> My brother just bought the latest Harry Potter film on DVD.
> The DVD contains a big advert at the satrt extolling the virtues of BlueRay/
> HDVD.
>
> As for the film itself - the quality is CRAP  - very grainy.
>

> I wonder whether they have deliberately done this to make the HD versions
> that much more attractive ?

Tim,
  Are you watching the DVD on an HD TV or on an SD TV (SD = Standard
Definition, i.e. good old fashion normal TV)?   If you play back the DVD
on a normal TV or on a computer what is the quality like?  I have seen
several HDTVs that do not do a very good job of upconverting SDTV
signals in their default modes.  I certainly would not put it past the
movie companies to purposfully obsolete a technology just to "encourage"
people to buy into the new technology.  It would mean that many people
would upgrade their player to a new format and then rebuild their movie
library in the new format... I am really surprised we have not seen more
HDDVD or BlueRay playe giveaways,  but that is probably next year.  Do
you remember a few years ago when you could suddenly buy a DVD player
for about 25 quid when before that they were 200+?

Andy
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk