[Gllug] On a Fasthost adv.

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 21 01:50:28 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 20:49 +0000, John Winters wrote:
> Caroline Ford wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 20:07 +0000, - Tethys wrote:

> >> A Bytemark box is only 15 quid a month....
> >>
> >> Tet
> >>
> > Which is rather a lot for irc access, at half the price of my
> > 'broadband' access.
>
> You're paying thirty quid a month for a crippled service!?  Eeek!  I
> thought the only reason people went with the major players and their
> incompetent offerings was to keep the price down.
>
> For less than 30 pounds a month you can get a perfectly respectable
> proper broadband connection, with a fixed IP address, no controls on
> what ports you use, human beings who can tell their arses from their
> elbows on the other end of the phone, and honestly stated usage limits
> (mine is 3 GB / month during the working day, genuinely unlimited for
> evenings and weekends).
>
> John
BT won't give me a phone line. Therefore I have several choices:

Leach wifi from my neighbours (I did this last year)
Use net cafes (not much fun)
Use cable (street not cabled)
Use 3G/HSDPA

All "3G broadband" seems to be crippled. I'm with vodafone as 3 turned
me down and T-Mobile offer 3 different grades of "unlimited" service.

None of them tell you what they block and have technical support people.
Vodafone block things like wikipedia articles on a chinese tea ceremony.
They claim it is to protect under 18s - they've completely gone
overboard. I'm having to use Tor to access friend's photos on flickr!

(and had to use a different connection to download Tor)

Caroline

Yes all LLU providers require a BT phone line *first* to transfer it.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk