[Gllug] On a Fasthost adv.

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Wed Dec 19 16:19:03 UTC 2007

Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 12:34 +0000, Ryan Cartwright wrote:
>
>> One friend is furious that his ISP has advertised up to 8mb and the best
>> he can get (because of his line apparently) is just over 1Mb.
>>

> That's my point though. Lots of people are being misled by the campaign
> into thinking they are being ripped off when in reality they are simply
> getting the best service possible on their line.

Ah, but are they?  They may be getting the best service possible on the
copper that is currently installed, but what if the phone company came
out and ran a brand new line for them?  What would they get then?  I was
living out in Cookham and about a week after I moved in the phone died
and it turned out that the wire from the exchange to the house had
broken due to corrosion.  They just patched it and would not replace the
entire length with new copper no matter how much I asked them to.  As
such, I was stuck with a sub 1mb connection.
> In what sense should your friend actually be furious or otherwise
> unhappy with a 1Mb connection if that's all his line can sustain?

I would be unhappy if (as they did for me) their telephone
representatives stated that I should get 2 Mb or better and end up with
sub 1mb.  Yes, Yes, they said SHOULD but there was BT broadband in the
house previously so they should have previous real world information to
make this estimate.

Andy
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk